Umrah for Women Pilgrims: Do’s and Don’ts
Umrah is a sacred but minor Islamic pilgrimage performed by millions of Muslims through hajj packages from UK to regain spiritual strength and peace. Since there is no bigger virtue than devoting your time, strength, and wealth in the supplication to Allah Almighty, it’s advised for all Muslim men and women to follow up on the performance of Umrah in their lives. Remember that Umrah pilgrimage is not obligatory for anyone but since it holds great rewards for pilgrims, it’s a recommended sunnah act to observe.
Just like the Hajj, for the performance of minor pilgrimage, there are some set of rules for both men and women pilgrims to be followed. Through the fundamentals are the same but some things slightly differ. Here’s a brief guide of Umrah for Women Pilgrims; Dos and Don’ts.
Traveling for Umrah.
Unlike men, women cannot go alone for Umrah performance i.e., they need to be accompanied by their male mahram on the holy trip. Otherwise, entry to the kingdom would be denied. However, in recent years, a lot of revisions were made to the policies regarding the performance of Hajj and Umrah. As per the new rules, the Saudi Ministry of Hajj and Umrah has lifted the restriction of Mahram for women. Women can also perform Umrah alone now; without their male mahram. However, for hajj, the necessity of a mahram for women pilgrims remains.
Ihram for Women.
Women can wear their ordinary (stitched) clothes as their Ihram i.e., there’s no specific dress code to follow. Nonetheless, it goes without saying that whatever clothes a woman wears for her Ihram, must remain simple, modest, and as per the Islamic rules. Otherwise, Umrah's performance would be invalid. For this reason, most of the women pilgrims prefer wearing an Abaya on top of their ordinary clothes.
Considering the hot weather conditions in Makkah, it advised opting for cotton blended or mixed fabric clothes for Ihram. Light colors are preferred because they keep you cool by resisting sunlight. However, it should be kept in mind that the fabric should be thick enough that it doesn’t reveal any part of your body under bright sunlight.
1. For women, it’s not permissible to cover their face or hands during the holy rituals. So, women should avoid wearing Niqab or Gloves.
2. For women, their heads must remain covered at all times during the Umrah. Therefore, wearing a Hijab with an under cap remains advised.
3. It’s allowed for women to wear socks or closed footwear i.e., that covers their feet and ankles, during the minor pilgrimage.
4. Women are allowed to wear jewelry even in the state of Ihram.
5. Wearing a fragrance of any sort is prohibited in the state of Ihram, for women as well as for men.
These are some of the basic umrah guidelines for women pilgrims.